United States of America is a melting pot of different cultures, ethnicities and nationalities. The one common thread that runs through the people of America is not religion, culture or ethnicity, but the spirit of America. The freedom and opportunity that America offers to her citizens attracts millions of people, who come to the country in the hope of becoming legal citizens one day.
Before 1965, immigration into the United States was restricted to people of Western Europe. People of the white race found it easy to immigrate to the US. The civil rights movement of the 1960s, threw open the American borders to all the countries of the world, irrespective of their religion or ethnicity. When the world’s super power was within their grasp to emigrate to, a large number of people rushed to take the opportunity. Immigrants living in the US increased many-fold between 1970 and the early 21st century.
However, on a per capita basis, United States admits less number immigrants compared to other developed nations. The maximum number of visas allowed per country is the same, regardless of their population. This led to a clamor for visas in high population countries such as China and India. Also, a large number of people found it difficult to immigrate into the US in countries such as Mexico and Philippines.
When immigration to the US is difficult, one would want to present the best foot forward. It makes sense to take the services of an efficient immigration attorney that knows the immigration laws well and has handled a large number of immigration cases. Immigration laws of the US are complex and difficult to understand, which is best left to professionals. Such an attorney should also hold a good reputation in the legal circles. Different areas that an immigration attorney can help are –
- Appeals: Often, the process of immigration does not happen as hoped. If immigration is denied, one can appeal the decision to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).
- Asylum: The number of people admitted to the United States on humanitarian grounds is more than those admitted for their technical skills. United States is the last place of refuge for those, who are persecuted in their home country. Immigration lawyer can effectively represent an asylum hopeful.
- Cancellation of Removal: For various reasons immigrants may be deported to their home country. It begins with a removal proceeding. An able immigration attorney can present an effective case to convince the courts to cancel the removal proceedings.
- Crimes & Immigration: If an immigrant who is not yet a citizen, is booked under a criminal case, even a trivial case, he/she is likely to be deported or removed. It is then essential to enlist the representation of a immigration lawyer.
- Family-Based Immigration: Family reunification is a major reason why people immigrate to the US. In fact it accounts for over half the number of immigrations. It is important to discuss various visa options available to obtain this type of immigration.
- Waivers: One can seek the waiver of inadmissibility into the United States. The case has to be prepared carefully, lest the waiver appeal be denied.
Law Offices of Simone Bertollini is a law firm based in New Jersey, specializing in immigration laws. The law firm represents anyone that needs professional help in dealing with immigration matters. Simone Bertollini is admitted to practice immigration law in all 50 states. He is member of the New York and New Jersey State Bars as well as the United States District Court for Southern New York and the District of New Jersey and the United States Court of Appeals, Second and Third Circuit.